Thursday, June 24, 2010

Birthday Boy


My son Ben is ten years old now. It seems like only yesterday that he was a little "alien" in an ultrasound photo. Now he has been a prisoner in his own mind for a whole decade.

He is getting too big for us to handle on our own. We are facing some very big decisions for his future and ours. If I had one wish, one dream to be fulfilled as I blew out candles on a cake...it would be this: That a key could be found to unlock that mental barrier. Better yet, that I could use a battering ram to vanquish useless synapses. I wish that I knew how to do...anything, anything at all to help him. It seems like a losing battle, but one that can't be lost for his sake, for our sakes.

I have hope and hopelessness. I have anger and sadness, regret and resolve. I have mixed emotions, to say the least.

Tomorrow is a new day, not a birthday, but a regular day. One more 24 hour time period to survive. That is what we are doing now, surviving, with style.




http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleepishly/2656467632/

1 comment:

  1. Hugs hon. Miss you guys tons! I wish I had brilliant things to say. You are as tough as it gets, and still adorable. :) You are also an AWESOME mom!!

    ReplyDelete