Thursday, August 25, 2011

KARMArt






When Ben was about five or six, we had a Developmental Therapist that worked with him in our home. Her name escapes me, so I will call her Inga so that she sounds more exotic. "Inga" had been recently divorced from her second husband and moved from the East Coast to live with her daughters. She had stepped back into being "Mom" and did most of her daughter's work for them. She was on five different medications to help her survive her divorce, etc. She worked with Ben. Anyone of those things could cause stress in someone's life.



She confided many things to me as most in-home therapists do as they integrate into your family. She said that she practiced retail therapy by going to Wal-Mart and walking around the store, filling a cart with all of the things that she wanted but couldn't afford. When she was done with her fictitious shopping spree, she would ditch the cart and go home.

I have worked in retail and know that those who leave destruction in their wake, are not just frowned upon, but cursed and hated by the employees. I could see the therapeutic side to Inga's self-help program, but I had sympathy for the employees in the blue vests.

Inga didn't last very long working with Ben, which was a consistent pattern for therapists back then and now. I hadn't thought of her for a long time, and then I saw her again when I was out and about one day. (You know it's coming...)She was working at Wal-Mart. How's that for karma? I think that she probably initiated a new therapy plan after that, the old one wasn't working anymore.






Photo:http://poorrichard.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/evil-walmart-greeter.jpg?w=221&h=300

No comments:

Post a Comment