Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fair is Fair





It's not that I am a big shot! I mean, heck, I wipe butts for a living. Being a Domestic Goddess may sound glamorous, unless you change it to "stay-at-home Mom", then the glamour is gone. But I have had my fifteen minutes, okay,15 seconds of fame. I won three ribbons in the California State Fair which is almost a big deal. I entered 33 bow ties framed in the shape of a bow tie that were my Grandpa's and I won a Second Place ribbon in the Handcrafts category. I received a matching ribbon for my Ewok costume that all of my children were then required to wear. My oldest son won a 1st place ribbon for an ocean scene drawing and a ribbon for a patriotic drawing. A different year, I won a fourth place ribbon for my Superman Christmas stocking complete with a cape. Two people offered to buy that one, which is cool. It was my brother's, but I get pretty attached to things that I make. They become precious as I invest my precious time into them.

My winning streak at that fair was five or six years ago. We moved to Idaho, and even though I went to the fair in Boise, I had never been to our local one in our county.

This year, I decided to dust off my skills and compete against the "old" me. The result? I may have aged, but I am not dead yet! Keeping in mind that there were fewer entrants per category because the population is dramatically smaller than the golden state. But these are fierce competitors, because there are amazing seamstresses and people raised with old fashioned ideals and functional families where talents were nurtured. Getting to the point finally, I won a ribbon on the four things that I entered and CDK won a blue ribbon for his art that he entered. Not bad for an old gal, and her son. Did I mention the $4.00 in prize money. Oh yeah! Celebrities, eat your hearts out! I received a hefty prize money payout of a job well done, and some pocket money.


(The top picture is my daughter and the bottom one is my Mama)

No comments:

Post a Comment