Monday, October 14, 2013

Broken Toe

Oops! I broke my toe. At least I didn't break it doing something sissy.

I was transporting a dead car battery for my Mom to go get a replacement. I put it behind the passenger seat in the van, close to the side door. It shifted while I was driving my son to preschool. I made a mental note to be careful when I opened the door, just in case. My mental notepad is not a very reliable document! When I arrived at preschool we were late, so I yanked the door open and a large heavy object flew out. The corner of it made direct contact with my index toe and then crashed to the sidewalk. If it wasn't a dead battery before the catapult from a caravan, it was afterwards. It urinated out a little acid from it's trauma. I fell to the grass without any leakage of my own personal fluids, but there was an influx of colorful vocabulary into my cerebral cortex, or wherever.

My four year old opened his door and says "What are you doing Mommy?" Here I was luxuriating on soft green grass on a beautiful sunny day and even though I told him I was hurt, I looked okay to him. So, he trotted on in to school. That's toddler concern for ya! I hobbled his backpack to the door where I received a little concern from the two Moms busy preparing for eight rowdy kids and then I hobbled back to my van.

The good news is that the battery was replaced for free. I didn't mention the plunge to the concrete. Sometimes less information is more. It was two years into a three year warranty, so there wasn't an issue.

To summarize my day, it was pretty awful. My kids weren't helpful, My Mom was over for a while canning peaches, but still hobbles from a knee injury and was having serious issues with it. My Husband was at school from 4:00 p.m. to almost 10:00 p.m. My 13 year old was a walking attitude primarily concerned for himself and terrorizing his siblings before being sent to bed by 8:45p.m. without a backwards glance. He helped about 10% as much as he normally does.

No comments:

Post a Comment