Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Made it to the Light

My son has been on summer vacation since May 30-ish. It has been an excruciatingly LooooooooooNG summer. Today, I saw the light at the end of the tunnel and was awash with its life-giving warmth. Yes, ladies and gentleman, I have seen salvation and it is long and yellow and has nice people on it who take your children away for hours at a time...a school bus.

Okay, so it didn't happen quite that poetically. After getting my #4 and 5 kids to sleep at 11:00 P.M.(which included falling asleep sitting up in the rocking chair and waking later with a numb and tingling arm), I was awake at 4:20 A.M. with my autistic son Benjamin. I gave him his regular meds with the happy addition of Melatonin in applesauce to help him get back to sleep. We call this delicacy "Happy sauce." I got a little more snooze in an armchair from 5:30 A.M. until 6:00P.M. My oldest son and only daughter started school a week ago and made it to the bus just fine. Benj was still sacked out when his bus came and went. I finally got him up & showered. I have him eat breakfast in his underwear because he doesn't distinguish between a napkin and an outfit. He dumped both breakfast choices in the sink without even so much as a sampling. He spun and broke another drinking glass, and we were on our way!

After I did a drop and ditch, with love of course, my two little ones and I went to Party! I didn't do cleaning. We went to a store for donuts and a park to play. Later, we took a nap. It was a good day.

1 comment: