Sunday, October 11, 2009

Blackened Corn Dog


We usually grow pumpkins in our backyard garden. We have a large lot and extra space behind the city-built chain link fence for access to the irrigation canal. Last year we grew gourds, butternut, regular sized and "Might Max" sized pumpkins, along with melons, toamtoes, etc. We grew 51 smaller pumpkins and 9 goldish-orange 50lbs+ HUGE pumpkins. We had a Halloween party and everyone that came took home a pumpkin, not one per family, but EACH.


This year I thought that it would be fun to have a neighborhood party where everyone was invited in our subdivision to our Harvest Party and went home with a free pumpkin. Yeah, it didn't work out, "cuz we grew zip, zilch, naughta in the pumpkin department. Stupid squash beetles! May you die a thousand painful deaths! I hate those things so much that instead of squishing them with my foot (doesn't work), or putting them all inside a jar to bake in the sun (ineffective), I squish them between my bare fingers (ANHILATION!). They have this sicky-sweet smell, that is a little nauseatng, but watching all of my hard work, money and effort put into my pumpkin plants, shrivel up and die is very nauseating. A lady on one of those A.M. radio gardening shows called squash bugs the "blight of
Idaho." Ain't that the truth!

So, finally getting to the highlight of this very informative and seasonally inappropriate (where has November gone?)blog entry, this year we bought our pumpkins. There is a local fruit and vegetable stand nearby where the pumpkins were cheap. I am debating even growing my own next year, but I will not let those little buggers win. I hate their sweet smelling guts! Sorry, I digress. Anyway, while at the local farmer's market place, I saw something a little strange. It was a Blackened Corn Dog. I didn't even know that Labradors retrieved corn cobs, I guess that you learn something new everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment