Friday, October 16, 2009

Human Wrecking Ball

J.B. our three year old has been sick lately. He started with a fever, then his eye looked bloodshot and gooey, and then it evolved to a good old fashioned cold. He laid around for almost three days feeling lethargic until his ibuprophen kicked in. He would perk up for a while, take long naps and sleep twelve hours at night. It was really nice, ...I mean ...poor little guy!

Today he would sneeze and shoot out double-barrel boogies that would bungee cord all the way down to his bottom lip. Just as I would reach him with a tissue, he would wipe his nose with his hand. I guess that wiping butts for a living wasn't glamorous enough, so now I get to clean up snot streams!

Along with feeling better came J.B.'s inner devil, ready to reek havok at the first opportunity. He dumped out toys more times than I care to remember, food on the floor, snuck three popcicles, continuously changed his own diaper, asked for food and then wouldn't eat it, but made big messes with it, then he would say "I'm hungry. To summarize, he was a hellion! When he went to dump my folded clothes on the floor, I yelled at him and he ran out of the room. Since a salvation nap was not on the menu, I decided to take him for a walk in the stroller with his little sidekick "Baby Destructo." It took forty minutes until I was human again and had regained some much needed patience.

Shortly after, my helper kids came home from school and along with some helping, they added some pre-teen drama and "what happened at school" conversation. I survived much better through the rest of the evening, but it was a really, really long day. My oldest son CeDricK "hung-out" (he's too old to play, you see) for a few hours and the boys walked around the neighborhood three times, so he was sooooo tired. I frequently say to him "You don't know what tired is!" Those words will echo in his head when he becomes a parent who spends his time wiping butts, noses and smirks of pre-teen faces.

1 comment:

  1. The snot-rocket bungee cord thing has got me a little barfy. Thanks a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete