Thursday, November 19, 2009

Tweenage Logic

My oldest son CeDricK is twelve. He has been a debater since he was old enough to say the word "No", which he did frequently. Now he is more eloquently contrary with phrases like "That's not what you said" and "Whatever, Mom!" He would make an excellent lawyer because he can talk a subject to death until you just want to lay down on the ground crying and say "Okay, okay, you win!" Then in a defeated whisper, "Just stop talking about it."

I am a peacekeeper and bridgebuilder from being the third of eight kids and trying to keep everyone happy and settle all of our differences. This parenthood thing is really forcing me to toughen up. I am the "softer" parent who gives in before my husband does, so I get bombarded first with almost any request.

I don't even remember the subject that we were discussing after dinner, but the consistent response to it was "NO." (Notice the use of capital letters for emphasis). My son then confers upon me some of his tweenage (not a child or a teenager, but somewhere in between) logic in a velvety voice. "As you and Dad get older, you are going to get tired. That means that the younger kids will get away with more than I do. So, I think that you should just relax now so that the discipline is fair for all of us." Did you catch that piece of wisdom? I almost tossed my sauce, hurled my second helping and nearly asphyxiated from the huge "HAH" that caught in my throat. Suppressing the sarcastic grin that threatened to overwhem my face, I responded without a hint of laughter. " As a middle child growing up, I learned how important it is for parents to be consistent in disciplining all of their children the same. So we will strive to make sure that we are just as strict with all of the others as we are with you. You are our prototype, so you are teaching us what we will need to know for the future. Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention." His smirk was gone.

Parents, 1 vs. Smart Mouth Tween, Zero.

1 comment: